You stink. I stink. Once in a while, we all stink. It’s not our fault (usually)– our body’s natural response to stress is to sweat. Unfortunately, sweat causes a chemical imbalance on our skin, resulting in an odor. And you know exactly what I’m talking about: arm pits. To combat our smelliness, we tend to lean towards deodorant; however, it looks like the harsh chemicals in deodorant can cause some pretty nasty stuff (much nastier than body odor). So what’s a solution? Well, how about a probiotic deodorant?
It is as freaky as it sounds. Research is suggesting a strong connection between deodorant use and health problems, such as seizures and even breast cancer. But how? Unfortunately, deodorant contains aluminum and parabens to stop perspiration and replace it with a pleasant smell. But these two additives can do some gnarly stuff to your skin and, as your body absorbs it, the insides of your body, too.
What’s a solution?
If the scary parts of deodorant are freaking you out, perhaps try this DIY probiotic deodorant recipe. How does it work? The smelly parts of your underarm are caused by bad bacteria. Probiotics work to neutralize bacteria and replace it with the good bacteria. See the connection? With consistent use, probiotics could potentially eliminate the bad bacteria and support clean, odor-free underarms!
Probiotic Deodorant Recipe
-1 tbsp. cocoa butter
-1 tbsp. coconut oil
-1 tbsp. shea butter
-1 tbsp. beeswax
-2 1/2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
-1 tbsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. non-GMO vitamin E oil
-15 drops essential oils of your choice
– Two tablespoons of SCD Essential Probiotics
- Use one, clean deodorant container or a small jar to store.
1. Melt cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax over low heat.
2. Remove pot from heat, then add arrowroot powder and baking soda. Whisk with chopsticks until all powders are dissolved and combined. Add vitamin E oil and essential oils at this time. Allow mixture to cool in pan. Once it is cooled to the consistency of pudding, add the SCD Essential Probiotics and mix well.
3. Add mixture to clean, used deodorant container. Place in refrigerator to cool and harden. After this, product may be stored on counter. This recipe will fill container and last for 3-4 months. Remember…a little goes a long way!
To keep your family safe and happy, maybe consider changing some of your beauty products to that of all-natural origins. They have amazing benefits! Remember- always do your own research to decide what’s best for your family. In the meantime, make sure you tune into our weekly blog for the latest industry news!